Saturday, November 17, 2007

Saturday Night Fever at the Disco

I'm a bit behind on the blog so I'll try to catch up a bit tonight. The time line is going to be all screwy but how about I start with today and work my way back and see how that goes?

Today was the big day. We went to Baby Loves Disco! George is out of town right now (sad face) so our friends Caterina and Geoff said that they would love to go with me and Oliver. BLD is a nationwide event for kids under seven. It's a fun space (usually a local club) where they can groove, get down, and shake their thang! After being a bit overwhelmed at first by all the lights, bubbles, music, and activity, Oliver settled right in and showed us his stuff. Caterina quickly caught on to his moves and has, herself, perfected "the Oliver": shake your fists in the air and do bouncing squats! That'll get your butt into shape.

It wasn't until we were leaving that I noticed he had a fever. When I got home I took his temperature and sure enough - fever. This time it is under 101 degrees (F) which is a good thing. He has been coughing and sneezing all day so I figure it is just a cold. O is sleeping now and I am dreading calling the on-call hematologist about it. The last thing I feel like doing is dragging ourselves into the ER when I know it is just a cold. I'll see what they say when I call.

Oh, and here is something momentous...Oliver wore a hat last night for 30 minutes and today for 20! Anyone who knows Oliver personally also knows that he can't stand having anything touching his head. Until now. Huh. You just never know about that crazy kid.

Jump back to October with me for a moment here. I didn't get the chance to let you know what we did for Halloween. Turns out, not much. We had grand plans that involved a lot of construction for our costume idea (not telling!) but without any extra hands around to amuse The Vole our plans never got off the ground.

Oliver did dress up twice though. Once on Halloween in the clinic during his monthly transfusion. He was dressed as a skeleton. You can see him here with his friend Matthew who also has DBA. We finally got to coordinate their transfusions on the same day so they hung out in the pack and play together. It sure did make the day go faster. The hospital also sent out volunteers to bring the trick or treating to the kids. It was fun watching adults and kids parade in and out of the clinic in their costumes handing out goodies.

The other time Oliver dressed up was at the Parent Infant Program were we go on Tuesdays and Thursdays. A giraffe! The beans kept him pretty distracted but he wasn't fooled for long and wanted out of the costume.

Now that I think of it....I suppose I can also include the Day of the Dead parade in the Mission district.

George's mom, Pauline, came to visit from November 2nd to the 12th. She arrived a bit weary from jet lag and I think looking forward to a quiet evening. But, oh... not so when you come to visit us having not slept for over 24 hours!


We decided that the only reasonable thing to do was to drag Pauline out for a night on the town. Does this photo convince you that we made the most reasonable choice?


In spite of the late first night carousing with the dead, Pauline managed to survive her visit with us. We had a great visit and consider ourselves lucky that we have such loving grandparents who are willing to travel many miles across seas and continents alike to visit with The Vole. Yes! Keep coming! We love having you all here. Especially Oliver. Visits with grandparents are unlike anything in this world. It's the best.

Before I sign off, I'd like to share two more pictures. They are from our trip to Portland and just crack me up.

I think Oliver felt like a cool cat in these glasses. He kept taking them on and off and looking at himself in the mirror and then laughing heartily.
This last one I love too. It took a lot of time to get this picture. I don't think that hat stayed on for more than 2 seconds at a time. We didn't buy it for him, of course, but I think it's a great look on him.

That Vole.... he can wear anything and look like a million bucks. Who does he get that from anyway?

No comments: