Sunday, October 28, 2007

P is for Potty

Before Oliver was born it had been my intention to pursue infant potty training with him. It requires a great deal of time, attention, and patience to apply this technique successfully but I thought I might as well give it a try -- I was going to be at home with the babe anyway, right? As we all know now, this was certainly not the case and my time, attention, and patience were being spent on issues of greater importance.

However, I did not give up on the idea of talking with Oliver about his potty and why it was there and what was done with it. We have been talking about it more and more recently particularly because Oliver has taken a fancy to his potty and loves practicing sitting on it. Another recent shift in his awareness is when I have him on the changing table and his diaper is off he will say "pee pee" right before or while he pees.

Well, tonight after his bath he would absolutely not let me put on his diaper or his pjs. We were playing on the bed so I was uncomfortable with the idea of him peeing on it, but we were having such a good time. Next thing I know, Oliver looks at me and says "pee pee". I quickly scoop him up and ask him if he has to go pee pee and would like to sit on his potty as I make a beeline straight for it. I plunk him down on his potty and next thing I know he is peeing in it!! Woo-hoo! I was thrilled, Oliver was thrilled, George was thrilled.

I've been wondering how all of this was going to play out. I know I have a long road ahead of me with potty training but it is exciting that we are on our way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a line to number myself among those who closely follow the fortunes of Oliver Valentine, even unto the minutiae of potty training.
My greetings to you.