Oliver was due for transfusion today - so he went in for a blood draw yesterday. As you know he doesn't make red blood cells so his 'retic count' - a measurement of reticulocyte, nascent red blood cells - is typically 1 or 2. But they called us to say that not only was his regular blood good enough that we didn't need a transfusion, but his retic count is 45!!!
They may have got the samples mixed or something else might be going on and it all could revert next week.
Its unclear and we aren't getting hopes up, but if this continues he might be going into a slight remission of the disease which happens VERY rarely. But happens. Stay tuned for next weeks lab report!
5 comments:
Yay ..hope his retic count stays high and hope baby O goes into remission soon
Lots of Love
Gayathri
Yay! Go Oliver!
Not getting hopes up here either but, well, yay Oliver!
Maybe he can carry some crates now if he's doing better?
Yay Oliver! That is fantastic! I know we are not supposed to start counting any chickens yet but this made my day!
Charlotte and Emily send big drolly kisses.
Love,
Sarah, Cay, Charlotte and Emily
haha. Charlotte and Emily send big DROOLEY kisses (is drooley even a word) :-) but I guess drolly kisses work too. :-)
Hi,
I have just read your blog, my daughter was diagnosed in Dec 2006 and started the corditcosteroids in oct 2007.
I wish you all the best
Julie's mother
Fatima
Fatinire@hotmail.com
Post a Comment